Program: Weatherization AssistancE

Carteret, Duplin, Onslow

Based on your gross household income, which must be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. You may call the office at (252) 223-1630 to check your income eligibility.

The waiting list varies, and therefore depends on your county of residence.

Program: Section 8 HUD Rental Assistance Voucher Choice

Individuals can qualify for one of the following Standard Preferences (Standard preferences are equal):

  • Working (Defined as at least 20 hours per work for 90 out of the last 120 days when name comes to the top of the list AND must continue to meet this preference prior to moving into the rental unit with program subsidy.)
  • Elderly (Age 62 or older)
  • Disabled (Extended to families where the only employable adult in the household is unable to work due to the need of staying at home to assist a disabled dependent within the household.)

Individuals can qualify for one of the following Specialized Preferences:

  • Homeless
  • Domestic Violence

Homeless: Must obtain documentation from credible source (such as homeless shelter; Department of Social Services; Police Department; local clergy or other organization) which states family is homeless; must go to each project or public-based apartment complex within Carteret County to apply for housing (form is provided by program to be completed by all property managers); must meet income and criminal requirements; HOMELESS DOES NOT include families with eviction or foreclosure notices, families that are staying with friends and family members, or families moving from house-to-house.

Domestic Violence: must complete HUD required form (provided by program); must provide supporting documentation (such as police report(s); restraining order(s); letter from Domestic Violence shelter); must have happened no later than 6 months from date of completed initial application; must meet income and criminal requirements; Domestic Violence preference is extended to all members of the household.

No, but there are some exceptions. Rule of thumb: If a family has eligible (countable) sources of income then the family will be responsible for a portion of the rent.

The affordability rate for each family is defined as being no more than 40% of the family’s adjusted monthly income being paid towards their portion of the rent and utilities. Affordability calculations are based off of the family’s household income minus deductions, gross rent of available unit (monthly rent cost and utilities family’s responsible for) and payment standard for size of available unit or voucher size (whichever is lesser).

Do you find housing for me?

No, it is the responsibility of the family to locate affordable housing. Each family is provided a courtesy listing with potential rentals in the area. The program will determine if housing is affordable and meets Housing Quality Standards.

Program: Children’s Services: Head Start/Early Head Start/NCPre-K/Child Care

Hours vary by center location. Head Start and Early Head Start provides a 4.45 hour school day Monday-Thursday. For children enrolled in Head Start/North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten, the school day is 6.5 hours Monday through Friday.

Child Care services are available at each location to serve the child care needs of families before and after the school day. Interested families need to speak with the Center Manager of their child’s school to get further information and to register.

  • Head Start: 3, 4, 5 year olds not yet eligible for kindergarten
  • Early Head Start: Infants and Toddlers
  • North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten: 4 year olds
  • Child Care Services: Infants (select centers), toddlers and preschool age children

Yes, all children who are age-eligible and whose family meets the federal income guidelines are eligible for Head Start. You may call the office if you need assistance with determining your income eligibility.

Yes, Head Start should not deny enrollment to any child based on toileting skills.

Program: Family Development Services

Self-Sufficiency and Head Start Case Management

If you have a child or children enrolled in Head Start or Early Head Start, you are eligible to participate in case management.

Yes, if you express an extreme hardship, and if you qualify for the Self-Sufficiency program. If not, the case manager for your child’s center will make referrals for assistance through other agencies to help alleviate your crisis situation.

Initial qualification for the program is based on gross income from all sources. Income guidelines are based on standards of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. You may call the office at (252) 223-1630 to determine if your income meets the guidelines, or refer to the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines for the Department of Health and Human Services.

The self-sufficiency program at CCA is a goal-setting program. The basis of the program is to assist income-qualified persons with moving out of poverty. Assistance is based upon individual family goals, and services are provided case-by-case.

  • Employment Readiness and Retention
  • Education Achievement (GED, Technical/Vocational, Secondary and Post-Secondary)
  • Income Management and Financial Literacy

Payments can only be made on behalf of persons who are enrolled in the self-sufficiency program. Documentation for the bill and the enrolled participant must be the same.

The program provides foreclosure prevention to individuals already enrolled in the Self-Sufficiency program.

The program provides emergency assistance payments for individuals already enrolled and actively participating in the Self-Sufficiency program.

You should contact your case manager at least once every 3-4 weeks. On-going communication strengthens the partnership between you and your case manager. This also will help the case manager to assess the progress of your goals, and help you to manage family crises.

The program provides limited assistance for car repairs for individuals already enrolled and actively participating in the Self-Sufficiency program, and if funds are available.

No, the program provides limited assistance for household needs, to help families to achieve their goals. The program is designed for heads of households to learn skills to manage their income and solve their own problems.

Yes, you can enroll if you are eligible, but the program is designed to help people maintain employment, and find better employment to earn a living wage and meet all of their basic needs.

If you are enrolled in the Self-Sufficiency program, you must attend at least two workshops per year.

Workshops are held several times throughout the year and are announced. You may contact the office for more information.

No, all workshops are open to the public unless specified in the announcement.

Program: Foster Grandparent Volunteers

Yes. The applicant must give CCA permission to complete the criminal background check and also a nationwide search on the national sex offender register is required.

Yes. If allowed to participate, a non-stipended volunteer is entitled to all other benefits with the exception of the stipend – mileage reimbursement, free physical, recognition activities/gifts, and other incentives as deemed appropriate.

Program: Retired and Senior Volunteers (RSVP)

Federal rules state that “RSVP volunteers must be willing to serve on a regular basis without compensation.”

Only if the church is a valid volunteer station with a signed MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with Coastal Community Action, Inc.

No, you can choose another valid volunteer station.

Yes, Federal rules and regulations require RSVP to track volunteer hours.

As a volunteer, you can determine how many hours per week you will serve.

Only if funds are allowable and available.

Program: Senior Companions (SCP)

The reimbursement amount is determined only by the Corporation for National & Community Service

Services are based on the availability of a volunteer, the location of the available volunteer and if that volunteer can meet the need.

The number of Senior Companions for the program year is based on amount of funding received to operate the program


Donate today

A common thread through all of our services, be they Family Services, Senior Services, or Housing Services, is that we help change lives by providing needed resources and support. Coastal Community Action, Inc. provides needed services to thousands of residents in our region annually.