FAQs-Frequently Asked Questions

Program: Weatherization Assistance
Is there a charge for me to receive Weatherization services?            NO
If I rent my house or apartment, can I still qualify for weatherization?     YES
Does Weatherization include underpinning?        NO
Does the program include housing repairs such as roofs, floors, or kitchen cabinets?  NO
What county (ies) do you serve?    Carteret, Duplin, Onslow
How do I quality for Weatherization Assistance? 
Based on your gross household income, which must be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. You may call the office at (252) 223-1630 to check your income eligibility.
Do you replace windows and doors?    NO
Do you treat mold?         NO
How long is the waiting list? 
The waiting list varies, and therefore depends on your county of residence.
 Program: Section 8 HUD Rental Assistance Voucher Choice
How long is your HUD/Section 8/Housing Choice waiting list?
Approximately 2 years
What are the preferences for qualifying?
Individuals can qualify for one of the following Standard Preferences (Standard preferences are equal):
·         Working (Defined as at least 20 hours per work for 90 out of the last 120 days when name comes to the top of the list AND must continue to meet this preference prior to moving into the rental unit with program subsidy.)
·         Elderly (Age 62 or older)
·         Disabled (Extended to families where the only employable adult in the household is unable to work due to the need of staying at home to assist a disabled dependent within the household.)
Individuals can qualify for one of the following Specialized Preferences:
·         Homeless
·         Domestic Violence
How can I qualify for homeless and/or domestic violence preference?
Homeless: Must obtain documentation from credible source (such as homeless shelter; Department of Social Services; Police Department; local clergy or other organization) which states family is homeless; must go to each project or public-based apartment complex within Carteret County to apply for housing (form is provided by program to be completed by all property managers); must meet income and criminal requirements; HOMELESS DOES NOT include families with eviction or foreclosure notices, families that are staying with friends and family members, or families moving from house-to-house.
Domestic Violence: must complete HUD required form (provided by program); must provide supporting documentation (such as police report(s); restraining order(s); letter from Domestic Violence shelter); must have happened no later than 6 months from date of completed initial application; must meet income and criminal requirements; Domestic Violence preference is extended to all members of the household.
Does this program pay all of my rent once I qualify for the program?
No, but there are some exceptions. Rule of thumb: If a family has eligible (countable) sources of income then the family will be responsible for a portion of the rent.
What is my affordability?
The affordability rate for each family is defined as being no more than 40% of the family’s adjusted monthly income being paid towards their portion of the rent and utilities. Affordability calculations are based off of the family’s household income minus deductions, gross rent of available unit (monthly rent cost and utilities family’s responsible for) and payment standard for size of available unit or voucher size (whichever is lesser).
Do you find housing for me?
No, it is the responsibility of the family to locate affordable housing. Each family is provided a courtesy listing with potential rentals in the area. The program will determine if housing is affordable and meets Housing Quality Standards.
Program: Children’s Services: Head Start/Early Head Start/NCPre-K/Child Care
What are the hours of operation of Head Start/Early Head Start?
Hours vary by center location. Head Start and Early Head Start provides a 4.45 hour school day Monday-Thursday. For children enrolled in Head Start/North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten, the school day is 6.5 hours Monday through Friday.
Child Care services are available at each location to serve the child care needs of families before and after the school day. Interested families need to speak with the Center Manager of their child’s school to get further information and to register.
What age group is served in Head Start/Early Head Start, Child Care Services and North Carolina Pre-kindergarten?
Head Start: 3, 4, 5 year olds not yet eligible for kindergarten
Early Head Start: Infants and Toddlers
North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten: 4 year olds
Child Care Services: Infants (select centers), toddlers and preschool age children
Does HS enroll children with disabilities or special needs? 
Yes, all children who are age-eligible and whose family meets the federal income guidelines are eligible for Head Start. You may call the office if you need assistance with determining your income eligibility.
Is there a requirement that Head Start accepts children who are not potty trained?
 Yes, Head Start should not deny enrollment to any child based on toileting skills.
Program: Family Development Services
What programs are under Family Development Services?
Self-Sufficiency and Head Start Case Management
How do I qualify for Head Start Case Management?
If you have a child or children enrolled in Head Start or Early Head Start, you are eligible to participate in case management.
As a Head Start parent, can I get assistance for my rent and utilities if needed?
Yes, if you express an extreme hardship, and if you qualify for the Self-Sufficiency program. If not, the case manager for your child’s center will make referrals for assistance through other agencies to help alleviate your crisis situation.
How do I qualify for the Self-Sufficiency program?
Initial qualification for the program is based on gross income from all sources. Income guidelines are based on standards of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. You may call the office at (252) 223-1630 to determine if your income meets the guidelines, or refer to the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines for the Department of Health and Human Services.
What kind of assistance does the Self-Sufficiency program provide?
The self-sufficiency program at CCA is a goal-setting program. The basis of the program is to assist income-qualified persons with moving out of poverty. Assistance is based upon individual family goals, and services are provided case-by-case.
What are the basic services for Self-Sufficiency?
            Employment Readiness and Retention
Education Achievement (GED, Technical/Vocational, Secondary and Post-Secondary)
Income Management and Financial Literacy
In order to receive assistance with a payment, does the bill have to be in my name and why?
Payments can only be made on behalf of persons who are enrolled in the self-sufficiency program. Documentation for the bill and the enrolled participant must be the same.
Does Family Development Services provide foreclosure prevention assistance?
The program provides foreclosure prevention to individuals already enrolled in the Self-Sufficiency program.
Does Family Development Services provide Emergency Assistance payments to prevent eviction and utility terminations?
The program provides emergency assistance payments for individuals already enrolled and actively participating in the Self-Sufficiency program.
As a participant in the Self-Sufficiency program, how often should I contact my Case Manager?
You should contact your case manager at least once every 3-4 weeks. On-going communication strengthens the partnership between you and your case manager. This also will help the case manager to assess the progress of your goals, and help you to manage family crises.
Does the program pay for car repairs?
The program provides limited assistance for car repairs for individuals already enrolled and actively participating in the Self-Sufficiency program, and if funds are available.
Can the program pay my rent, utilities, car payments and car insurance each month while I am enrolled in the Self-Sufficiency program?
No, the program provides limited assistance for household needs, to help families to achieve their goals. The program is designed for heads of households to learn skills to manage their income and solve their own problems.
If I quit my job to go to school full-time, can I enroll in the Self-Sufficiency program?
Yes, you can enroll if you are eligible, but the program is designed to help people maintain employment, and find better employment to earn a living wage and meet all of their basic needs.
Do I have to attend workshops?
If you are enrolled in the Self-Sufficiency program, you must attend at least two workshops per year.
How often does the program provide workshops?
Workshops are held several times throughout the year and are announced. You may contact the office for more information.
Do I have to be enrolled in the program to attend a workshop?
No, all workshops are open to the public unless specified in the announcement.
Program: Foster Grandparent Volunteers
If I have already had a criminal background check done within the last year, is another one required for the FGP? 
Yes. The applicant must give CCA permission to complete the criminal background check and also a nationwide search on the national sex offender register is required.
If I do not meet the income eligibility requirements to participate as a stipended volunteer, may I still participate on the FGP? 
Yes.  If allowed to participate, a non-stipended volunteer is entitled to all other benefits with the exception of the stipend – mileage reimbursement, free physical, recognition activities/gifts, and other incentives as deemed appropriate.
Program: Retired and Senior Volunteers (RSVP)
Why doesn’t RSVP pay a stipend?
Federal rules state that “RSVP volunteers must be willing to serve on a regular basis without compensation.”
Can I count the volunteer hours from my church?
Only if the church is a valid volunteer station with a signed MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with Coastal Community Action, Inc.
How many hours are required to serve per week? 
As a volunteer, you can determine how many hours per week you will serve.
Do I really have to fill out a time sheet? Why?
Yes, Federal rules and regulations require RSVP to track volunteer hours.
Do I have to continue at a station if I am not happy?
No, you can choose another valid volunteer station.
Can you provide transportation to my volunteer assignment?
Only if funds are allowable and available.
Program: Senior Companions (SCP)
How old do I have to be a Senior Companion Volunteer?  
55 years-old
How long is the waiting list to become a Senior Companion?
The number of Senior Companions for the program year is based on amount of funding received to operate the program
When will the volunteer get a raise?
The reimbursement amount is determined only by the Corporation for National & Community Service
How long is the waiting list to receive Senior Companion Services?
Services are based on the availability of a volunteer, the location of the available volunteer and if that volunteer can meet the need.

Back to Top

For technical questions and comments regarding this website,
please contact the Webmaster.